Media Playback and Ingest
Content ingest means receiving streams from network or reading compressed files from storage. MainConcept SDKs provide components necessary for ingesting, importing and playing back all sorts of streams from different sources and devices, ranging from professional camcorders, streaming formats, RAW streams, compressed files and many more. The components can be integrated into environments powering versatile solutions like ingest to MAM (Media Asset Management) systems, editing and conversion software, media and mobile players, streaming, security applications, IPTV, streaming, broadcast playback, etc.
4K Camera Ingest: Panasonic Ultra HD / Sony XAVC
MainConcept SDKs support ingest of the latest professional camcorder formats from Sony and Panasonic as well as other camcorder vendors, such as JVC ProHD, Canon XF and Ikegami GFCAM, and support for several OP-Atom flavors.
The MainConcept components allow reading, demultiplexing, decoding and playback of Sony XDCAM HD, XDCAM IMX, XDCAM EX and XDCAM DV, as well as Panasonic P2 DVCPRO and AVC-Intra files for various markets such as broadcast or post-production. Additionally import of latest Panasonic AVC-Ultra and Sony XAVC / XAVC-S content with resolutions up to 4K is supported.
After ingest video and audio streams as well as related userdata can be used by your software for editing, voice over, logo insertion, or transcoding into distribution formats such as DASH, HLS, DivX, Microsoft Smooth Streaming etc.
- File Ingest via memory card – Most cameras store the recording on flash memory cards. Those recordings can be ingested by various MainConcept SDK components including Transcoding SDK, the media file importer (mfimport) or individual components for demultiplexing and decoding.
HEVC File Playback
HEVC/H.265 is the preferred codec for delivering and storing UHD content. For HEVC/H.265 playback, MainConcept offers SDKs for decoding content up to 8K in HEVC, MP4 or MPEG-2 Transport Stream file format, and as Elementary Streams in realtime.
MainConcept SDKs contain everything for ingesting and playback HEVC compliant streams on multiple platforms, incl. mobile, PC and Mac. Using video and audio decoders, demuxers, and network components enable the following:
- HEVC File Playback on PC - HEVC/H.265 encoded video with AAC, MP3 or Dolby audio muxed into MP4, MKV or MPEG-2 TS can be played back in real-time up to 8K on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X platforms.
- HEVC File Playback on Android / iOS - HEVC/H.265 encoded video with AAC audio muxed into MP4 can be played back in real-time up to 1080p on ARM devices running iOS or Android.
There are currently a couple of adaptive streaming formats out in the market, such as Apple HLS, DASH-264, Microsoft Smooth Streaming, etc. Finally, there is the new DASH-265 that is supposed to rock the OTT and streaming market. It reduces bitrate by half compared to DASH-264 by offering the same quality as its predecessor. HEVC/H.265 is the perfect codec for streaming content in many quality layers to various platforms, including mobile CE devices.
MainConcept SDKs contain everything for receiving and playback DASH-265 compliant streams on multiple platforms, incl. mobile, PC and Mac. Using video and audio decoders, demuxers, and network components enable the following:
- DASH-265 Playback on PC - HEVC/H.265 encoded video with AAC audio delivered over HTTP in the DASH format can be received via a Network Client, and be played back in real-time up to 4K on Windows, Linux and MacOS platforms.
- DASH-265 Playback on Android / iOS – HEVC/H.265 encoded video with AAC audio delivered over HTTP in the DASH format can be received via a Network Client can be played back in real-time up to 1080p on ARM devices running iOS or Android.