In an epic face-off against x264, MainConcept triumphed with 2X faster encoding
Endeavor Streaming, a large OTT platform provider powering streaming services such as UFC FIGHT PASS® and WWE Network®, didn't have any data to suggest that their open source codec could be improved upon.
“We had no problem using open source in principle, but we decided there's no downside to seeing what MainConcept could do,” said David Salmon, CTO of Endeavor Streaming.
MainConcept accepted the challenge, running a face-off between the new MainConcept AVC SDK 11.1 (H.264) and the open source incumbent, x264. The results show that not all codecs are the same:
50% Cost Savings
on encoding-related server runtime
Same High Quality
“Frankly, we were shocked by the results, we didn’t expect to see such a dramatic improvement in performance,” says Salmon. “Not only does this make our platform faster, but the cost savings are significant–over 50%.”
In this report, we’re sharing the comparison data. Read the story to see what’s possible when using a truly flexible technology like MainConcept, and the performance gains that can be achieved even if you use FFmpeg.
Key Features at-a-glance for MainConcept AVC 11.1 (H.264):
- 2X faster encoding with AVC compared to open source
- 55% speed improvement for decoding of AVC Intra video files*
- Precise bitrate adherence (+/-2%) for encoding to on-demand video targets
- AVC 4:2:2 10-bit pro format support
- Unrivaled range of encoding presets, from HLS/DASH and DVB/ATSC to pro formats and more
- Professional camera support for Sony XAVC and Panasonic AVC Ultra 4:2:2 and 4:2:0
- **Available in an FFmpeg plugin**
- Frame-accurate smart rendering for AVC-Intra and other pro formats
- One API for software encoding or Intel QSV hardware encoding
- HDR support for HLG and PQ/HDR-10 encoding
*compared to previous version 10.2